Tuesday, November 18, 2008

MY MORNING COFFEE

I'm a cup kinda gal! I LUV coffee cups and tea cups. When I go shopping/looking at Tuesday Morning or Ross or Macy's, I check out the cups. I saw one at Macy's last Saturday that was really beautiful, but I couldn't find a price on it -- I suspect it's part of a set of china.

Sometimes I buy two cups that are just alike and give one to a friend ... or a sister ... same thing. Then when I use my matching cup, I think loving thoughts about her and I feel close to her. Sometimes I drink my morning coffee from a sassy cup I got from Hallmark that says "Live Boldly. Take Risks. Make somebody say, What the H&ll was THAT all about?". Frequently my morning coffee is in a large, spring green cup from Starbucks that feels really good in my hand. It feels perky and I like that.

Then sometimes I use the cup below. Why do I have this cup in my collection? And why do I continue to use it? Many years ago when the boys were very young I saw a set of pretty cups at Eckerds that I really wanted. But at the time we were bone poor and I couldn't afford the $5.00 to buy them. Whenever I would stop at the pharmacy for necessities -- with young boys there are always necessities at the pharmacy -- I would linger on the aisle containing the cups and ponder buying them, but I knew I couldn't -- there were necessities that I could hardly afford, so pretty cups were very low on the list of things I could buy. However, when I got my tax return that year, I ran right down to buy those cups for myself. It was my big splurge. And I've been using them ever since. That's twenty plus years! Over time, this cup got chipped, but it's still a favorite. Something about the colors still please me. And the chip reminds me that at one time in my life I couldn't afford to splurge on a pretty cup. I'm thankful for the blessings God showers on me and I remind myself of how far He's brought me. Praise be to God!


No comments: