Thursday, July 17, 2008

I had a great visit with Jeanie today. We spent some time at her house -- wonderful girl talk over sandwiches -- music, talking, checking out the jewelry she's collecting to sell at her booth.
Then we went to a bookstore called the BookSatchel. I LOVE the name. Only people of a certain age would remember what a book satchel IS -- for those who are much younger, it's the baby boomer equivalent of a backpack -- and I found the name and the store both quite charming. Jeanie and I both bought a few books and we each got a book about native Texas wildflowers. It has pictures of the flowers all arranged by color. So maybe I can finally figure out what those dark purple lily-looking things in the cow pasture are.

Then we went to visit Aunt Jackie. She's 88 now and makes our short little Jeanie look tall! She's so funny -- lively and sweet and generous to a fault. She wasn't happy till I had a bagful of goodies to take home with me and a doll for Jeanie to add to her collection. I snapped a couple of pictures before we left. I loved seeing Aunt Jackie so much. I want to be just like her when I grow up -- peppy, sassy and sweet!

We went out to the Indian Creek Cemetery and had a wonderful talk. Then we drove out past Seybold. Sad to say the old foreman's house (aka the Brooks house) is gone. But I love the country out there -- prickly pear growing on the side of the road, cedar trees mingling with other native trees, and just a hint that the Brazos River is .... right over there somewhere. It always feels like home in my heart.

Altogether a lovely day. Can't wait to repeat it.

On a completely different note, regarding our "new" boat, Bob is off tomorrow and we'll be washing sails, checking rigging and getting her ready to sail on Saturday. WOOOOO HOOOOOO! Can't wait!

No comments: